Apa Nova Bucuresti
AN OPINION POLL ABOUT WATER
We decided to carry out an opinion poll at our school about people’s use of water.
Before starting asking questions to our schoolmates, we all did two tests to see how much water we consume daily and to find out about the water consumption and losses.
The two tests were the following ones:
- One on Apa Nova Bucuresti website (to estimate our water consumption each year) :
- One the « Eau de Paris » website (to estimate our water consumption each month)
Then, we estimated our daily consumption of water.
Here are the results
These results were quite impressive as we noticed that half of the class uses really too much water. Nowadays, a French person uses about 120 liters/day and a Romanian one about 160 liters/day.
The reasons why we use too much water are the following ones:
- A lot of us take baths (some of us even take baths every day)
- Some of us take too many showers per day
- Some of us flush the toilet too often
- Some of us still let the water run when brushing their teeth or when taking a shower and washing their hair
- Some of us the washing-machine and the dish-washer too often
- Some of our parents wash their cars too often
So, if we want to use less water, we need to be more careful about our use of water. We must have better daily habits.
We decided to ask people around us about their use of water and about their daily habits regarding their consumption of water. We also asked them other questions about water.
At the end of our questionnaire, we also put a few questions about the environment.
First of all, all the students in our class answer the questions (to read the results, follow the link …).
The results showed that:
- Most of us are careful about their use of water and think that water is precious.
- We all think that water is a global issue.
- We all think that recycling bins are useful.
- We try to recycle as much as we can.
So, as a conclusion, we can say that we care about the environment.
Then, the class was split into several groups to ask questions to their schoolmates. Every group was in charge of one school level: from CM2 to Terminale. One group was also in charge of asking questions to adults.
For the results, we split the students into 3 categories:
- The CM2 students (we gave 40 questionnaires and got 25 answers)
- The Junior High School students (we gave 80 questionnaires and we got 62 answers)
- The High School students (we gave 40 questionnaires and we got 27 answers)
And we also had the adults (we gave 40 questionnaires and we got 20 answers).
We were happy to get 134 answers out of the 200 questionnaires we had given.
The results showed that (to read the detailed results, follow the link….):
- Most of the people (in all categories) do not know that the average daily consumption of water is of more than 100 liters.
- We notice that most of the students from high school didn’t mind using too much water.
- The students from CM2 care a lot about their use of water and about the environment they live in.
- Adults are in general very careful about their use of water and about the protection of the environment.
So, everybody is aware of the importance of water, as a natural resource.
But, we can all change little by little our daily habits and make more environmentally-friendly gestures to save more water and to protect our environment better.
Average consumption for various activities:
- Washing dishes at the tap : 50 liters
- Using a washing machine once: 40 to 70 liters
- Washing hands and brushing teeth one : 5 to 15 liters
- Having a 5-minute shower: 60 to 80 liters
- Having a bath : 150 to 200 liters
Did you know that …?
- One dripping tap consumes about 17 liters per day and dripping toilet 40 liters?
- One leaky tap or toilet seat alone leaking one drop in 10 seconds results in 0.5m3/month leakage?
- One leaky tap or toilet seat alone leaking 30 drops in 10 seconds results in 2.23 m3/month leakage?
- If the water thread leaking from a faulty tap or toilet seat is 3 mm wide, the monthly leakage can exceed 26.3 m3, which is more than the equivalent of the average water consumption of four persons per month?
- One block of approximately 40 flats where the taps are leaking one drop per second and toilet seats leaking 1mm water thread for 10 seconds results in 282.2 m3/month leakage?